Szrenica

The summit, which looms both above Szklarska Poręba (1362 m. a. s. l.) and the main ridge of Karkonosza, rises an additional 60 m. The eastern side descends sharply in the direction of Kotło Szrenickie, wheras the southern part slopes more gently toward Grzbiet Śląski. Szrenica is composed of granite rocks and of rubble, which largely covers the eastern side of the slope. Granite boulders covered by greenish-yellow lichens resemble hoarfrost when seen from a distance, which is most likely the source of the name “Szrenica” (hoarfrost, "szron").

Even though Szrenica is not an extremely high mountain, conditions such as are found in the Alps at an altitude of 2000 m. above sea level predominate here, which permits a well-functioning skiing infrastructure. With 20 km of trails on the surrounding hillside as well as a set of lifts, Szklarska Poręba has been drawing winter sport enthusiasts for years.

For many years, visiting tourists stayed in the Hala Szrenicka hostel. The first hostel on Szrenicka was only built in 1921-22. Unfortunately, it was destroyed by fire in 1968 - as was the fate of other wooden buildings in Karkonosze. The hostel was subsequently rebuilt in the early 1980s. Szrenica offers excellent views of the Jelenia Góra lowlands, the Izera Mountains and the Kaczawskie Mountains. Interesting rock formations in the vicinity include the Horses’ Heads (Końskie Łby), Szronowiec and the Three Pigs (Trzy Świnki).

Access: take the red trail (the Main Sudeten Trail) or, for the less hearty, the chairlift and follow the black linking path for about 10 minutes. The green trail from Hala Szrenicka leads to northern and eastern slopes of Szrenica, passing the Horses’ Heads (Końskie Łby) and the Pod Łabskim Szcztem hostel.

Kamieńczyka Waterfall

The highest waterfall in Polish Karkonosza, Kamieńczyka Waterfall's first ledge it as a height of 843 m. a. s. l.. The entire falls consists of a series of three cascades, descending 27 m. through the picturesque Kamieńczyka Gorge.

The Kamieńczyka Gorge is about 100 m. in length, with vertical cliff walls reaching a height of over 25 m and a width of up of 4 m at various points.

Near the second cascade can be found the so-called „Golden Jama” cave, partially carved by Walloons, featuring clusters of pegmatite and amethysts. “Kamieńczyk” and “Szałas Sielanka” hostels are located near the waterfall.

The charming atmosphere of this gorge has been immortalized in the British film version of C. S. Lewis’ “Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian”. Legend has it that Kamieńczyk was created from the tears of seven nymphs mourning the death of one of their sisters, who had fallen in love with Bronisz Kamieńczyk. Bronisz had ventured high into the mountains, seeking precious stones to help cure his ailing, destitute mother.

Paying no heed to the warnings of her sisters, Łabudka the nymph fell in love with the mortal, Bronisz. She handed her entire treasure over to him: namely, the precious stones he needed to heal his sick mother. Bronisz, who had also fallen for Łabubka, promised soon to return to her, and the nymph spent many days pining after him. She finally set out to find her beloved. Leaving her home below the Łabski Peak, she struck out northward, in the direction of today's Hala Szrenicka. She warily continued her descent from the mountains. Suddenly, she was horrified to behold – the body of her lover, who had fallen from a cliff ledge. Overwhelmed by grief, Łabuka herself slipped, and landed next to Bronisz. Her sisters wept so long at the lovers’ fate that their tears created the Kamieńczyka waterfall – now one of the most beautiful places in Karkonosze.

Access: from the city center, take either the red trail (GSS) from the main trail junction at Szklarska Poręba city center (ul. Sikorskiego) or the black trail running alongside the lower station of the Szrencia cablecar station.

Admission to Kamieńczyka Gorge
single entry: 5 zł normal, 2,50 zł reduced ticket
day pass for participants (in a group trip with a Sudetes guide): 4,00 zł, 2,00 zł

Opening hours: daily from 9:00 to 17:00

Szklarki Waterfall

A veritable calling card of the Karkonosza Mountains, aside from Kamieńczyk Falls Szklarki is the largest waterfall of the mountain range. Picturesquely situated at the Enclave of Karkonosze National Park, the falls are tucked within the Szklarki Gorge. The waterfall has a height of 13,3 meters. Following the path, you will encounter the most characteristic natural elements of Karkonosze, such as the steep slopes and intriguing rocks of the valley through which the Szklarki stream passes.

The area surrounding the falls is one of the few places where one of the area’s top attractions has been preserved – that is, the Sudetes beech, interspersed with fir and spruce trees. Enjoy the chance to soak up the natural beauty of the forest, as well as the occasion to admire the many species of mosses, lichens and birds (examples of the latter include the throated dipper and gray wagtail).

The highlight of this trek is a view of Szklarki waterfall, whose water crashes from a height of 13 meters! In 1868 a tavern was built by the waterfall, which, over the course of years, has morphed into today’s Kochanówka hostel. Access: from the city center take the green trail along the Kamienna River or the black trail (which circles around Szklarska Poręba). The blue trail, running from Piechowic to the “Pod Łabskim Szczytem” hostel, also passes alongside the waterfall.

The Golden Overlook

The "Żłoty Widok" is an natural terrace and an excellent overlook. From a sheer, magnificent ledge overlooking the Kamienna Valley, with a drop of up to 20 m, one can enjoy a unique view of the Jelenia Góra lowlands and of Karkonosze, including Szrencia and Śnieżka.

The "Chybotek" cliffs and the tomb of Karkonosza, the ruler of the moutains, are found near the overlook – mysterious places shrouded in many legends.
Access: from the blue trail, near ul. Matejki

Śnieżne kotły

This is certainly one of the most charming parts of Karkonosza. The Śnieżne Kotły are the two best examples of glacial cirques in Karkonosza, and they comprise a nature reserve with a total area of 127 ha. Vertical rock walls loom upward as high as 200 m, with the upper rim of the „Big Cauldron” reaching an altitude of 1490 m. a. s. l.. Two small ponds, which periodically dry up and then refill with snow runoff, can be found inside the Big Cauldron ("Duża Kotła").

The name "Kotły" comes from patches of snow, which can persist even until late summer. The Śnieżne Kotły also represent the richest patch of mountain flora in the entire Sudetes. Above the “Snow Cauldrons” towers the “Devil’s Pulpit” (Czarcia Ambona), providing a good view of the Cauldrons below. A television relay stands next to it. Access: by the Main Sudetes Trail (the red trail along the ridge) or via the gold trail from Hala Pod Łabskim Szczytem. The interior of the Śnieżne Kotły can be reached via the green trail, the so-called „Ścieżka nad reglami” (Warning! This is a difficult trail, which is closed in the winter).

Krucze Skały
Krucze Skały (The Raven Rocks) is a rock formation with a height of 30 m., situated on the right bank of the Kamienna River; they are often frequented by extreme sports enthusiasts. They offer excellent views of the Kamienna Valley, of part of the city and of the Izera Mountains.

Under the watchful eye of an instructor, the formation is a great spot for rock climbing, zip-lining, pendulum jumps or crossing the precipice via a rope bridge. Access: take the red path from the city center (ul. Sikorskiego), then ul. Mickiewicza

Chybotek

Several Walloon legends about the Spirit of the Mountains are also connected with Chybotek. The rock is suffused with an aura of mystery, and, according to old stories, it seals the entrance to one of his underground treasure troves. Access: from the blue trail, in the vicinity of the Golden Overlook (Złoty Widok) and the Karkonosza Tomb (Grób Karkonosza).

The Crooked Bastions

These represent a challenge for braver novice climbers and a pleasant stop for weary hikers. The Crooked Bastions (Krzywe Baszty) are a heavily-piled granite rock formation with a height of 18 m. On the south wall, a small cave can be found, which has resulted from the excavation of pegmatites. Access: take the red trail from the city center (ul. Sikorskiego).

Stara chata walońska Juna

The "Old Walloon Cottage of Juna" is the seat of a guild, a mineralogical gallery and a place where Walloon traditions are still preserved. Subject to prior telephone arrangement, tourists are invited to attend a séance of Walloon traditional customs and to hear Walloon stories and legends of the Sudetes straight from the mouth of the Grand Walloon Master. The Old Walloon Cottage is a former seat of Walloons, medieval masters at extracting and refining natural resources, iron ore, metals, precious stones and quartz.

The Old Cottage stands at the fork of the Czech Path, which leads to the source of the Elbe River (an ancient cult site), and of the black trail, which circles Szklarska Poręba. A sculptors’ workshop is also active at the Cottage. Finally, there is a rich collection of semi-precious stones and minerals.

Address:
Szklarska Poręba
ul. Kołłątaja 12
tel. 75 71 72 956

Chata Walońska is open year-round, subject to prior telephone arrangement. It caters to group activities. Free admission.

Carl and Gerhart Haupmann House

„This central point on the Karkonosza map attracts like a magnet. It’s therefore no surprise that its artistic and cultural circles are centered around it,” writes Stanisław Firszt, director of the Karkonosza Museum in Jelenia Góra, regarding the unique phenomenon of the Carl and Gerhart Haupmann House. The Hauptmann brothers lived here in 1890. The older brother, Carl (1858-1921), was a philosopher, biologist, poet and playwright and is above all known for his work “The Chronicles of the Spirit of the Mountains”, a collection of nine adventures of the legendary king of Karkonosza. The younger brother, Gerhart Hauptmann (1862-1946) has been called the father of German naturalist cinema, and his oeuvre was honored in 1912 with a Nobel Prize. His greatest works – “The Weavers”, “The Beaver Coat”, “Drayman Henschel”, “The Assumption of Hannele” and “Colleague Crampton” – were written in Szklarska Poręba. The surname Hauptmann attracted guests from scientific and cultural circles all across Europe. Over the course of time, their house became a hub for social and artistic meetings, and it also provided the start of Szklarska Poręba’s artistic community.

Today the Carl and Gerhart Hauptmann House still fills the role of a local nexus for artistic movements, and it remains the site of permanent exhibitions concerning the family and friends of the Hauptmanns, the Kingdom of the Mountain Spirit and the vibrant artistic community of Szklarska Poręba.

Address:
ul. 11 Listopada 23
tel. 75 717 26 11
www.domhauptmannow.pl
Opening hours: from Tuesday to Sunday from. 9:00 - 16:30, closed on Monday.
Admission: adults - 7 zł, children - 4 zł

St. Luke’s Mill

Yet another interesting example of mountain architecture, St. Luke’s Mill (Młyn Św. Łukasza) is located in the very center of Szklarska Poręba on the right banks of the Kamieńczyka River. Built in 1870, it is one of the oldest monuments in the city and has variously served as a mill, an inn and a sawmill. At the beginning of the XXth century, it was destroyed by a fire; in the 1920s, it was reconstructed. Only the stone walls of the basement, the ground floor and the first floor are from the original building. Despite the damage, it rapidly became a venue for artistic activities and exhibitions.

Today, St. Luke’s Mill is a well-maintained building: its interior houses both a cozy restaurant and a discoteque. The style and furnishings allude to the history and original purpose of the structure, while the menu features traditional Polish and regional dishes.

Adres:
ul. 1 Maja 16
58-580
Szklarska Poręba
tel. 535 350 055

Mineralogical Museum

An extensive collection of minerals, consisting of over 3,000 samples which are revised yearly, as well as exhibits dedicated to dinosaurs. The collection includes precious stones, meteorites and dinosaur eggs. Until recently, a highlight of the museum was its large 10-karat diamond, which has unfortunately been stolen.

In front of the buiiding, you can view Europe’s only “carboniferous forest” – the petrified trunks of trees that grew around 300 million years ago. The museum includes an audio-visual hall, where popular science films are shown.

Adres:
ul. Kilińskiego 20
tel. +48 607 100 880,
www.sokolowski-muzea.pl
Opening hours: Tuesday – Saturday from 10:00 to 18:00; Sunday from 10:00 do to:00; Monday – closed. In the high season, the museum is open daily from 10:00 to 18:00
Admission: adults - 10 zł, students and seniors - 7 zł (with a valid I.D.), youth (to age 18) - 5 zł, children to age 5 – free entry

Salt Cave

Sore throat ?
Sinus problems ?
Allergies ?
Chronic stress ?

Take advantage of the healing powers of salt!

Halotherapy, or healing by means of salt, is an increasingly popular method of supporting pharmacological treatment. The microclimate of the salt cave, where the air is saturated with minerals and microelements, maintains the body’s defensive capabilities and increases your resistance to infections. The relaxing atmosphere allows one to rest, cleanse oneself, de-stress and leave behind your weariness and worries. A session in the salt cave rejuvenates for the entire organism.

„Salt is one of the richest sources of vitality.
You, too, can glean from it
all that’s best for your health and beauty”.

For guests with Aparting, a 20% discount is offered (terms and conditions are written on your guest card).

Address: Szklarska Poręba ul. Kopernika 14 (KRUS Rehabilitation Center pos.1)
tel. 75 74 59 821 Opening hours: Monday-Saturday 11.00 – 21.00, Sunday 15.00 – 21.00
www.grotasolna.net

Kamienny Krąg

A draw for lovers of sculpture and artistic happenings, Kamienny Krąg (The Stone Circle) with its iron figures was the personal project of the artist Zbigniew Frączkiewicz. Frączkiewicz took his inspiration from stones quarried in the environs of Szklarska Poręba.

The artist creates monumental sculptures from iron and stone. Aside from the Iron People (1984.), his work includes the momument to the victims of Lubin from 1982, the seven-meter figure of Christ on the Millennial Cross in Bołesławiec and various others. His monumental sculptures in stone and iron can be found in such diverse locations as Mainz, Hanover, Fellbach, Worpswede, Karlsruhe, Vienna and Berlin.

„LGOM”, one of Frączkiewicz’s most important sculptures, sits in from of the "Stone Circle". This work won the Grand Prize at an art exhibit in Krakow, being deemed “Sculpture of the Year from South Poland” in 1975. Access: from the city center, take the access road leading to the Szrenica lift.

Newsletter
Newsletter

Zapisz się na nasz newsletter i otrzymuj informacje o najnowszych wydarzeniach w naszym hotelu.

This website uses COOKIES.

By browsing it you accept our cookies policy, according to your browser settings.

OK, close